I’ve made Shawarma a time or two here on WGC and I’m always finding myself wanting more. Hence this entire dinner party menu surrounding the flavors. This Salmon Shawarma is so simple. Just an easy spice rub, a beautiful piece of fish and you’re in business.
If you’ve never had a shawarma spiced piece of protein before… this is your moment. It’s a simple combo of cumin, paprika, dried oregano and red pepper flakes and it’s OUT OF THIS WORLD. It’s fantastic on chicken, steak, pork, veggies, olives etc. It’s just the most lovely combinations of flavors. You’ll typically find a shawarma seasoning roasting on a slowly-turning vertical rotisserie or spit with chicken, veal or pork that then gets shaved off once it’s caramelized and crispy. Salmon is certainly not the norm, but it’s INCREDIBLE and since we’re not all able to install a rotating spit into our kitchen, this is the easiest way to get the flavor and use your oven!
Grab the entire Salmon Shawarma inspired dinner menu here!
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1½ pound side of salmon
- In a large zip-top bag, combine the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, oregano and red-pepper flakes. Add the salmon, zip the top of the bag and give it a quick shake to combine. Refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove the salmon from the marinade and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until cooked. Remove and set aside to rest.