We all know I have a deep love affair with Mediterranean food and this Chicken Shawarma Stuffed Pita situation is making me want to hop on a flight and jet off for a vacay!
It the chicken recipe to end all chicken recipes. You’ll flip. It’s marinated in the most glorious marinade. Then it’s grilled for a few minutes until fully cooked. THEN… it’s sliced and sautéed for a few minutes more to get those really delicious crispy bits that make you jump for joy. Everything gets rolled up in a pita and voila – the most perfect Chicken Shawarma lunch or dinner that maybe, just maybe, will make you feel like you’re beachside somewhere in the Mediterranean soaking up the sun.
Chicken Shawarma Stuffed Pita
For the Chicken
- 2 lemons juiced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic peeled, smashed and minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
For the Pitas
- 6 pieces of pita bread
- Chopped Parsley
- Cherry Tomatoes halved
- Cucumbers cubed
- 1 recipe Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
- Shredded Romaine
- In a large zip-top bag, combine the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, oregano and red-pepper flakes. Add the chicken, zip the top of the bag and give it a quick shake to combine. Refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- Pre-heat a cast iron to medium high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill each chicken thigh for 4-5 minutes on each side until done. Remove and set aside to rest.
- Slice the chicken against the grain into thin strips and transfer back into the skillet and sauté for 2 minutes until just slightly crispy around the edges.
- Transfer the chicken to a large bowl and toss to combine with the parsley, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Place the chicken in the middle of a pita and top with the assorted toppings. Fold the pita up and wrap with parchment to hold it together.