You guys… I want to be the first to bring this to your attention… brunch season is upon us. There’s no rhyme or reason for when it starts, but it’s here and Cheesy Herb Savory Waffles need to be a part of it this year.
Be honest - have you ever had a savory waffle? The answer is probably no and that needs to change ASAP. Listen, I’m all about a sweet brunch menu item to finish the meal… but savory is where it’s at! You can eat all the things and then polish it off with one incredible sweet treat. But before you get there, there are just too many ways to eat those cheesy, savory, buttery delicious waffles!
We had a version of Cheesy Herb Savory Waffles at brunch when we were in London a few weeks back and they really just spoke to me! Obviously, as soon as I got home, I added the item to my never-ending list of recipes to create!! A few weeks later a combo of cheese, Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil and Sea Salt, herbs and shallots were all mixed together with a quick batter and magic happened. I happened to make it into waffles, but it would be equally as amazing in mini pancakes or muffins. It’s just fantastic.
Add to that, the fried egg situation (which is obviously fried in Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil and Sea Salt to give it that golden crust on the bottom) and a drizzle of Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil and Sea Salt and voila. Brunch perfection! Add some chives, salt and pepper to garnish if you need to, and serve it up.
This makes approximately 8 waffles, so go ahead and invite all your friends over and wow them! Or make the waffles and freeze whatever you don’t eat! These actually freeze really well and can be reheated in the oven at a moment’s notice!
Savory Cheesy Herb Waffles
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons
Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil and Sea Salt, melted and cooled slightly, plus more for drizzling
- 4 ounces cheddar, shredded
- ⅓ cup snipped chives
- ¼ cup finely minced shallots
- (optional) fried eggs to serve
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix. Add the melted butter with olive oil and sea salt, cheddar, chives and shallots to the batter and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Preheat waffle iron to medium. Pour in as much batter as your waffle iron's instructions recommend and cook until golden. Gently remove each waffle and transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat this process until you’ve used all the batter.
- Pop the waffles into the oven for 5-10 minutes to warm before serving with a drizzle of the butter with olive oil and sea salt and a fried egg on top.
** This post is brought to you by Land O’Lakes (which makes legit the world’s best butter and I’m willing to put it to a butter taste test any day of the year!) All content, ideas and words are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content like this for What’s Gaby Cooking**