A Spinach Cheese Strata is the PERFECT way to start a weekend. Loaded with cheese, veggies and toasted cubed bread – it’s everything you want in the morning and more!
In my mind a savory strata is part stuffing and part egg bake if that makes sense. It’s freaking delicious and one cannot be left along with the entire thing otherwise it will end poorly. Trust, I speak from experience. This Spinach Cheese Strata is loaded with 2 kinds of cheese, feel free to add more if you want, plus tons of wilted spinach to make it healthy-ish. It’s the right way to live. It’s literally the best strata out there!
For the full winter brunch menu, check out the menu here! including a sweet strata, a breakfast salad and the bloody mary of your dreams!
Spinach Cheese Strata
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb. fresh spinach
- 6-7 cups cubed french bread, toasted
- 2 cups Gruyère cheese grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 10 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups half and half or heavy cream
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan over medium heat, warm 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add half of the spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander. Repeat with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and spinach. Using a rubber spatula, press out the excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, toss together the bread cubes, the caramelized onion, spinach and cheeses. Transfer to a 4-quart baking dish. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, half-and-half, the 1 teaspoons salt and pepper, to taste. Pour over the bread mixture. If its looking super wet, add another handful of toasted cubed bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Preheat an oven to 350°F
- Remove the plastic wrap from the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the top is browned and the strata is cooked through, 40 to 50 minutes more.
Hi! Excited to try! What are the instructions for toasting the bread? Thanks 🙂 -Mary
just cut it into cubes, and toss it into the oven on a baking sheet at 350 for 10!
Can this be made ahead of time and reheated?
you could prep it ahead and then let it sit and bake right before serving – that would yield best results
Would whole milk work instead?
Looks delicious! Could you use frozen spinach?
yes – just make sure to wring it dry once thawed
Made this last night, and added more spinach bc we love spinach. Delicious! Used a stale boule of sourdough which was perfect for cubing and skipped the toasting.
Could you make this a few days in advance and then freeze? If so, would you defrost in fridge the night before?
About how many people will this serve? Thank you.
Can you add bacon to this?
of course! i’d crisp it up and toss it in before baking!