The perfect summer veggie quiche with goat cheese, zucchini, yellow squash and bacon!
I’ve taken the goat cheese obsession to the next level. Over the past few months I’ve been working with Montchevre Goat Cheese and adding it to pizzas, pastas, salads, dips, hummus, fruit salads… the works. Today it’s a Goat Cheese Crumbled Summer Veggie Quiche! Also I don’t think quiches get enough love and I’m determined to change that!
Goat Cheese Crumbled Summer Veggie Quiche. We’re talking 1: panko bread crumbs rather than a homemade crust because it’s way easier. 2: tons of sautéed zucchini and yellow squash because if you’re anything like me, you’ve got them coming out of your ears at the market or in your garden! (mom I’m looking at you!!) 3: bacon! Or pancetta! Your call. 4: a creamy egg, milk and heavy cream mixture that keeps it light. And lastly 5: GOAT CHEESE. I cannot be stopped.
I’ve told you all about my Montchevre Goat Cheese obsession before and like I said, there is no stopping me now! The day I run out of what is stocked in my fridge will be a very sad day indeed. You’ll find me at the grocery store shortly thereafter! The goat cheese just gives every recipe a little extra oomph of flavor, a bit of tangy, a nice creamy finish and I cannot get enough. It’s perfect in this quiche and the combo of the goat cheese, zucchini and bacon is truly a match made in heaven! PLEASE promise me you’ll make it this weekend. Let’s bring the quiche back as a weekend (or weekday) treat!
Goat Cheese Crumbled Summer Veggie Quiche
- 3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced yellow squash
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup crumbled Montchevre goat cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spray a quiche pan (9-inches wide, 2 inches deep) with non-stick spray, then sprinkle all over with bread crumbs. Alternatively, you can grease the pan with butter and then sprinkle the panko
- Place a large heavy skillet over medium heat, and the olive oil. Add the sliced shallot sauté, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 25 minutes. Add the thinly sliced zucchini and squash and stir to combine, sauté for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain and excess moisture from the zucchini. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and transfer the vegetable mixture into the quiche dish, then evenly sprinkle goat cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and pour over goat cheese.
- Bake until top is golden and custard is set in center, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly before cutting into wedges and serve.
- Optional to to serve with market greens toss with lemon juice and olive oil over the top.