Any excuse to make a pizza and I'm in, which is why these Tomato Basil Pizza Rolls are happening today!
A few months back one of my favorite people on the planet, Tracy from Shutterbean, made pizza rolls and I just about hopped on the first flight up to the Bay Area and knocked on her door for the leftovers. It was pure genius. Basically a pizza in cinnamon roll form. Tracy - she's a genius. I've been wanting to make them for months now and seeing as how Super Bowl is just a hop, skip and a jump away, I figured today was the day. They're freaking delicious, you can add in any type of pizza toppings - various kinds of cheese, pepperoni, shredded chicken and pineapple, the possibilities are endless! I'm all about a Tomato Basil Pizza Roll because I'm fairly certain 50% of my body is made up of cheese and basil. So, without further ado... meet your new best friend!
Tomato Basil Pizza Rolls
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- 1 ¼ cup shredded mozzarella divided
- ¼ cup shredded fontina cheese cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- handful of basil leaves torn, plus more for serving
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drizzle the surface with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- On a clean surface, roll out pizza dough into a rectangular shape, roughly 9 x 16 inches. Spread the marinara sauce evenly on the rolled out dough, leaving about a 1" border around the dough followed by dollops of the pesto. Top with 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, all the shredded fontina, a few basil leaves and ⅛ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Carefully, lift up the bottom edge of the dough and roll it forward into a tight cylinder. Place dough cylinder, seam side down, on a cutting board and, using a thin, sharp knife, cut cylinder crosswise into 8 equal-size slices. Nestle the slices, cut sides up on a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush 1 tablespoon olive oil onto the edges of the dough and bake until golden brown about 15-20 minutes.
- In the last two minutes of baking, pull rolls out of the oven and top with extra shredded mozzarella and a light sprinkle of the remaining Parmesan cheese. Place rolls back into oven and bake until cheese melts. Remove rolls from the oven, let rest for 5 minutes and sprinkle with basil before serving.