I LIVE for a big bright bold salad that is 1: easy to make 2: mega flavorful and 3: lends itself to basically anything else on the table. This Winter Greens Salad with Pecorino Dressing is IT!
To say I’m obsessed with this Winter Greens Salad with Pecorino Dressing is an understatement. The hearty winter greens are the perfect compliment to this tangy cheesy Pecorino Dressing. And the buttered panko breadcrumbs on the top are just incredible! It’s a perfect blend of flavors and textures and not absolutely not to be missed.
Treviso is a long and thin variety of radicchio. It’s a tiny bit bitter but works perfectly with the lemony dressing. If you can’t find Treviso lettuce – not to fear! You could easily substitute endive or any other member of the bitter chicory family to work in this salad recipe.
This salad is also a part of my Roasted Chicken Dinner Party Menu – which you should totally make this season. Truly an incredible blend of flavors all around!
Winter Greens Salad with Pecorino Dressing
For the Salad:
- 2 bunches lacinato kale Tuscan kale or cavolo nero thick ribs cut out
- 1 bunch Treviso lettuce
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese plus more to finish
- 1/4 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges for serving on the side of the salad
For the Toasted Breadcrumbs:
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Tear the kale and Treviso into large pieces. Put the greens in a salad spinner, rinse with cool water, and spin until dry. Pile the greens into a bowl.
- Put the chopped garlic on a cutting board and mince it even more until you have a paste. Transfer the garlic to a small bowl, add the pecorino, a few tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper, and whisk to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed
- Pour the dressing over the kale and Treviso and toss well to thoroughly combine. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste. Let the salad sit for about 5 minutes until the kale starts to soften. Top with the toasted breadcrumbs tossed with butter and more shredded pecorino cheese.
To make the toasted breadcrumbs
- Melt the butter in a small nonstick skillet. Once melted, add the panko and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium and stir until starting to get fragrant and toasting. Once golden, remove and set aside.
This is the most gorgeous salad!!
This is an amazing salad. SO GOOD. The dressing really is out of this world!
Thank you for another incredible recipe.
This looks amazing! I can’t seem to find Treviso lettuce. Is it commonly sold in grocery stores? Is there a good substitute for it? Thank you!
Radicchio is a great sub!
My mom can’t eat any type Kale but I want to make this salad. Any sub suggestions? Thanks!
Radicchio would be great – or a baby spinach or arugula
I could have eaten this entire salad myself!! Wow! Wow! It seems so simple yet really packs a perfect bite. I had to use radicchio which I was a little nervous about being that it is more bitter than other bitter lettuces but something about the lemon, cheese and breadcrumbs really added a complexity that it needed. I put a tiny bit of garlic powder into the breadcrumbs for good measure! Simply stunning, both visually and taste! Thanks!