Big things are happening around the blogosphere! People are getting married, like Garrett, Andrew (this past weekend) and me (next weekend!). There are tons of fab food blog based cookbooks coming out! (more on that next week) And my friends are having babies!!!
Today I’m so excited to celebrate the lovely Jenny Flake from Picky Palate because she’s having a little baby boy in just a few weeks!! A bunch of fabulous, gorgeous and fun food bloggers and I, whipped up all these tasty treats to celebrate Jenny today! I’m so excited to be a part of this awesome group of food bloggers! The only thing better would be is if we could actually all be together in real life and get to share each others treats together. Although, that would so not work for my 5-days-till-my-wedding countdown cleanse.
Jenny is one of the sweetest people in the world and I couldn’t be happier for her! She’s also the queen of fun desserts so I wanted to whip up something sweet and special for her baby shower! And since it has fruit in it, it basically still counts on the wedding cleanse diet right?!?
A few weeks back, Heather Cristo posted this delectable looking recipe for Raspberry Buttermilk Cake and I was literally drooling as I looked through the pictures. I knew I had to make it for myself and this was the most perfect opportunity!
So, with a little inspiration from Heather, and a big congratulations for Jenny, here’s the most soft and delicious buttermilk cake recipe!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9 inch round cake pan with baking spray and a round piece of parchment paper.
- In a large mixer, cream together the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until fully combined. Add the buttermilk and lemon extract and mix on low until just incorporated.
- In another small bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the blackberries.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan and baking for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before dusting with powdered sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.