There are some things that just bring me back to being a kid, and this Cinnamon Apple Cake is certainly one of them!
My Omi (that’s German for Grandma) used to make Cinnamon Apple Cake for my mom when she was a kid. My mom then turned around and made it for me and my sister when we were growing up! It’s pretty much one of the easiest cake recipes I know.
It makes for an excellent dessert or even a sweet breakfast if you are a sweets in the morning type person. I know I am! I could eat cakes for breakfast just about every day and all would be right in the world!! Whip this one up this weekend with all those beautiful apples from the market. I used a mixture of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp apples, but you can really use any variety!!
Fall Fest: Cinnamon Apple Cake
- 4 cups sliced and peeled apples
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- To prepare the apples, peel and core about 4 apples. Slice them into about 1/4 inch thick slices and place them into a large bowl. Pour the sugar over the apples and give them a quick toss with your hands and then add the lemon juice. Let the apples and the sugar sit for about 30-45 minutes. This process with soften the apples and the sugar will become liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the oil, eggs and vanilla to the apple mixture and stir together with a spoon.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves. Mix together until the baking soda and spices are evenly distributed through the dry ingredients mixture. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and combine with a spoon carefully until the dry mixture is just incorporated.
- Spray a 9x9 baking dish with baking spray and line with parchment paper. Transfer the batter into the baking dish and bake in a preheated oven for 50-55 minutes, or until a knife can be inserted in the center and comes out clean.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream.