Welcome to my easy cinnamon apple cake recipe. This is a great recipe for cooks of all levels, and it’s perfect for fall baking. The combination of apples and cinnamon makes this cake irresistible, and it’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends. So let’s get started!
There are some things that just bring me back to being a kid, and this Easy Cinnamon Apple Cake recipe is certainly one of them!
My Omi (that’s German for Grandma) used to make Cinnamon Apple Cake for my mom when she was a kid. My mom then turned around and made it for me and my sister when we were growing up! It’s pretty much one of the easiest cake recipes I know, as it comes together quickly in one bowl.
Apple cake makes for an excellent dessert or even a sweet breakfast if you are a sweets in the morning type of person. I know I am! I could eat cakes for breakfast just about every day, and all would be right in the world!! Whip this one up this weekend with all those beautiful apples from the market.
Ingredients you need and substitutions:
- Fresh Apples – They’re the star of this recipe. I used a mixture of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp apples to balance the tart and sweet flavors of both varieties, but feel free to use any other firm apples you have on hand.
- Lemon Juice – Helps bring out the apple flavor and balance the sweetness. You can substitute it for orange juice.
- White Sugar – I only use white sugar to sweeten this apple cake recipe to keep it light and airy. I call for two cups, don’t freak out. I promise it’s not too sweet. I don’t recommend cutting the sugar in half.
- Oil – Adds moisture to the cake without making it dense. I use coconut oil, and it adds the most incredible flavor to the cake, but you can substitute it for any vegetable oil — that’s what my Omi used when she made it.
- Eggs – Helps bind all of the ingredients and adds moisture to the apple cake.
- Vanilla Extract – Add the most incredible flavor. This is my favorite vanilla extract to use.
- Flour – I use all-purpose flour for this recipe. If you’re gluten-free you can modify this recipe and use a 1:1 gluten-free flour substitute like this one.
- Baking soda – Helps the apple cake rise, and the acidity from the lemon juice activates it.
- Spices – Ground cinnamon and ground cloves give this apple cake a delicious and warming flavor that you will love.
Best apples to use:
When it comes to baking with apples, the rule of thumb is to use firm varieties since they’ll hold up better while baking. I used a mixture of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp apples to balance the tart and sweet flavors but feel free to use any other firm apples you have on hand. The key is to slice them into about 1/4 inch thick slices, so you get a little bit of apple in every bite.
How to make apple cake?
Start by peeling and coring about four apples. Slice them into about 1/4 inch thick slices and place them into a large bowl. Pour the sugar over the apples and give them a quick toss with your hands and then add the lemon juice. Let the apples and the sugar sit and macerate for about 30-45 minutes. This process will soften the apples and dissolve the sugar.
Then, add the oil, eggs, and vanilla to the apple mixture and stir together with a spoon. Next, add the dry ingredients to the apple mixture. Combine with a spoon carefully until the dry mixture is just incorporated.
How long to bake apple cake?
Bake the apple cake in a 350 degree oven for 45-55 minutes, depending on the cake pan size.
9×9 Cake Pan: 50-55 minutes
9×13 Cake Pan: 45-50 minutes
What size pan should I use to bake apple cake?
You can bake this apple cake in a 9×9 inch baking pan, which yields 9 servings, or you can bake it in a 9×13 inch pan, which yields 12 slices of cake. Keep in mind the larger your pan is, the shorter your cake will be.
What you’ll need:
Looking for more fall recipes like this Apple Cake Recipe? Try these:
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Pie Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars with Streusel
- Vanilla Apple Tarts
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Easy Cinnamon Apple Cake – The Perfect Fall Dessert
- 4 cups sliced apples about 3-4 apples (peeling optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- To prepare the apples, peel and core about 4 apples. Slice them into about 1/4 inch thick slices and place them into a large bowl. Pour the sugar over the apples and give them a quick toss with your hands and then add the lemon juice. Let the apples and the sugar sit for about 30-45 minutes. This process will soften the apples and dissolve the sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the oil, eggs and vanilla to the apple mixture and stir together with a spoon.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves into the apple mixture. Combine with a spoon carefully until the dry mixture is just incorporated.
- Spray a 9×9 or 9×13 baking dish with baking spray and line with parchment paper. Transfer the batter into the baking dish and bake in a preheated oven for 50-55 minutes for a 9×9 or 45-50 minutes for a 9×13, or until a knife can be inserted in the center and comes out clean.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream.