YOU GUYS! Big things are happening today! I’m kicking off a crazy exciting new partnership with the California Walnut Commission (which represents the hardworking people who grow and process this tasty nut) and it’s going to be awesome because these Blueberry Crumb Cakes with Walnut Streusel are involved and they couldn’t be more delicious!
Before we get to the recipe can we discuss the fact that I might be in your living room this month?! Yup! This California girl is going be making the rounds on morning television and radio stations to share my cooking tips to show you just how versatile walnuts are – so stay tuned and I’ll update this post with where I’ll be saying hi! That way if you get the channel I’m on – we can hang out! I’ve come up with 4 recipes (one of which being these Blueberry Crumb Cakes with Walnut Streusel) that I’ll be sharing and I know you’ll love them all.
Okay, onto the Blueberry Crumb Cakes with Walnut Streusel. These little mini cakes can be dessert, breakfast, a snack – they can be just about anything you want them to be! They are addictive and easy! The batter is a super simple cake batter that’s laced with blueberries and the walnut streusel on top is like candy. You’ll want to eat nothing but the tops of these cakes – at least that’s how I feel sometimes. No shame in my game. Whip these up next time you need a sweet tooth fix after dinner. Or make them ahead of time and bring them to your next at home brunch. I promise you’ll be obsessed. AND make sure to tune into this week’s Snapisode (username whatsgabycookin) as I’ll be making these so I can continue my obsession. Then I’ll take them with me on a flight the very next day. They travel well and I’m pretty sure I’ll make friends with everyone sitting around me on the flight!
Create a walnut recipe paired with other whole foods, submit online through www.walnuts.org/IHWcontest, or post it on Instagram with the hashtag #iheartwalnutscontest and tag @CAWalnuts. The winning recipe will win $5,000!
Blueberry Crumb Cakes with Walnut Streusel
For the Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest about 1 large lemon
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
For the California Walnut Crumb Streusel
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup finely chopped California walnuts plus 1/3 cup medium chopped for garnish
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon zest about 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Line 2 cupcake tins with wrappers and spray with non-stick baking spray.
- In small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a large mixer combine the butter and sugar until pale yellow, add the zest, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and beat well for an additional 2-3 minutes making sure to scrape down the sides. Alternate adding the flour mixture, and the buttermilk until all is combined, making sure to scrape down the sides during the process. Remove the bowl from the mixer, and fold in the blueberries. Set the batter aside.
- Make the California Walnut Streusel by combining all ingredient in small bowl. Using your fingers, mix it around until it’s crumbly and set aside.
- Fold half of the streusel mixture into the batter and stir to combine. Spoon 1/4 cup of the batter into each cupcake mold. Sprinkle the top with a few teaspoons of the streusel. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the cake is light and fluffy and a toothpick can be inserted into the center and is clean when removed. Remove from oven and let cool before serving.
- Garnish with additional chopped California walnuts.
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Recipe from What’s Gaby Cooking
I just love a blueberry lemon combination! I already have blueberries ripened on my bushes, so this would be perfect for breakfast this weekend!
Yum! I love a good streusel on muffins.
Yum! What a great way to start the day!
BEAUTIFUL muffins! Congrats on your partnership!
Wish I had this muffin for breakfast this morning!
OMG!! these look Sooooo delicious!!!