Happy Monday!! I’m back stateside and I thought we’d kick off this week with a little tribute to my European adventures the last few weeks. Warmed Muesli with Blueberry Compote – get ready… it’s about to be your new (and healthy) bff.
I’m currently having major withdrawals from everything I got to experience in Sweden and Denmark. The cities, the people, the vibes and most importantly the food! We’ve been spending part of our summers in Europe since we were kids, as we have some family that still lives there. Typically the trips consisted of my sister, my parents, my Omi (that’s German for grandma – you guys have heard about her before!) and me! Between having my mom and Omi with us, we’d get schooled in their European ways so we’d be total locals by the end of our trips! This last trip to Sweden and Denmark was my first trip with just my sister and me. Every which way we turned reminded us of Omi and stories she’d tell us about her growing up in Europe as a kid – specifically when it came to breakfast! It was all about the Muesli.
And that’s exactly what our breakfasts looked like during our 2-week trip! Today we’re upping the ante on the Muesli tradition and turning it into something pretty epic! I’m so thrilled to be teaming up with Kellogg’s Origins the next few months to bring you a handful of new breakfast ideas and share some epic new products that are on the shelves. Kellogg’s Origins Muesli is up first!!
It’s loaded with all sorts of nutritious ingredients like rolled oats, wheat, rye, spelt, barley, raisins, dried apricots, dried cranberries, dried dates, cashews, almonds, and pumpkin seeds. It’s exactly what you want when you need a filling but nutritious breakfast to keep you going all day (hello 30k steps worth of sightseeing – my fitbit did overtime!) While some people serve Muesli over yogurt or soak it overnight, I’m partial to cooking it in apple juice to really let it shine. Once it’s cooked, I mix in a few tablespoons of my favorite yogurt and then spoon some homemade fruit compote on top! These days the blueberries at my farmers markets have been insanely sweet, so I’d recommend that for the summer months! Or raspberries, strawberries or cherries! An apple compote works in the fall + winter! You can even find a maple syrup-based compote recipe in my Caramelized French Toast post. Needless to say, you’re 100% covered yearlong with this Warmed Muesli with Blueberry Compote for breakfast!
Warmed Muesli with Blueberry Compote
For the Warmed Muesli
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 ¼ cup Kellogg’s Origins Muesli either flavor
- 2 tablespoons plain or vanilla yogurt
For the Blueberry Compote
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- Place the apple juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the Kellogg’s Origins Muesli and stir to combine. Let the two ingredients cook together for 1-2 minutes and then turn the heat off. Let rest for 5 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed. Add in the 2 tablespoons of yogurt, stir until slightly creamy and transfer to 2 serving bowls.
- Meanwhile, make the compote:
- Boil water and sugar in a small saucepan, uncovered, until boiling. Add in blueberries and simmer, stirring occasionally, until blueberries begin to burst, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice to taste. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Serve a few tablespoons of the compote over the warmed muesli and enjoy.