Vanilla and Blueberry Buttermilk Crumb Cake
Easter is right around the corner, and this year I’m going to be all by myself in L.A! The boyfriend is ditching me for a boys weekend in Vegas. So I’ve decided to throw a big fabulous Easter Brunch party. It will be complete with Champagne, Bloody Mary’s, Frittata’s, Cranberry White Chocolate Scones and these Mini Vanilla and Blueberry Buttermilk Crumb Cakes. And he’ll be sorry he missed it!
Easter for me is all about the big brunch menu. As well as taking the time to enjoy the day with friends and family and lots of great food. Plus, I love any reason to throw a party! These Vanilla and Blueberry Buttermilk Crumb Cakes are the perfect sweet treat. The crumb topping is extra delicious, I could literally eat it by itself. Oh wait, I totally did that when making these. And the white soft buttermilk cake is perfectly spongy and light. Plus the addition of the lemon zest throughout the recipe makes these cakes just scream spring time!
|Vanilla and Blueberry Buttermilk Crumb Cake|
Prep time: 8 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 38 mins
- 2 cups AP flour, plus 2 tbsp
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Vanilla Bean, seeds removed
- 1 cup buttermilk ** If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, just use regular milk with a squeeze of lemon juice added into it**
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Make the lemon crumb topping by combining 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest with the melted butter. Using your fingers, mix it around until its crumbly and set aside.
- Butter and flour 2 cupcake tins.
- Toss the blueberries with the 2 tbsp of flour and set aside
- In small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a large mixer combine the butter and sugar until pale yellow, add the zest, eggs, and vanilla bean and beat well for an additional 2-3 minutes making sure to scrape down the sides.
- Alternate adding the flour, and the buttermilk until all is combined, making sure to scrape down the sides during the process.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the batter into each cupcake mold. Top with some of the floured blueberries. Sprinkle the top with some of the crumb mixture.
- Bake for approximately 30 – 35 minutes, or until the cake is light and fluffy.
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving.
Tags: Blueberries, blueberry, blueberry recipes, brunch recipes, buttermilk, cakes, crumb cake, crumbs, cupcake, easter cake recipes, easter recipes, fresh blueberries, lemon zest, streuselkuchen, Sugar, sweet easter recipes, Vanilla, Vanilla and Blueberry Buttermilk Crumb Cake, vanilla white, zest