It’s hard to believe I went until 22 without carnitas. They are now one of our favorite little indulgences and it’s one of those recipes that you can make and then use for multiple nights for multiple dishes!! Who’s gonna say no to that?
The pork shoulder gently cooks for 3 hours and when it’s done, it literally melts in your mouth. Insanely tender and even more delicious with the addition of a little guacamole, it makes for a 100% satisfying meal. Add a skinny margarita and you couldn’t pay me enough to share!
You could use this carnitas recipe and throw it into tacos, nachos, quesadillas, or any other application you deem fit. You honestly couldn’t go wrong!
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup fresh Lime Juice
- 10 oz chipotle salsa
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Place the pork in a large dutch oven with the orange juice, lime juice, salsa and salt. Add enough water to barely cover the meat. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and simmer with the lid on for 2 hours, at which point the pork should be falling apart to the touch.
- Turn the heat up to medium high, and continue to cook the pork for 45 minutes, uncovered, stirring every once in a while, until all the liquid has evaporated and the pork fat as been rendered.
- Parts of the pork should be caramelized and golden brown. Remove the dutch oven from the stove and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve immediately or let cool and store in an airtight container for 4 days in the fridge
For another great comforting pork recipe, check out my Pulled Pork Sliders
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!