So my parents were in town for the weekend with my sister. I was super excited because it’s about time they got to see my new apartment. Plus I really needed my mom to help me hang a new art installation that she made for above my fireplace.
Little did I know, that they were really here because my now fiancee (at the time only my boyfriend) had arranged for a big party after the proposal and obviously my parents had to be there! But anyways, I was excited, so in honor of their visit, I whipped up some of these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars. They were pretty much demolished in just 2 short days. You see, the Dalkin family (that’s us), we have some serious sweet teeth. Sweet teeth? That sounds so weird compared to sweet tooth. Anyways, we all really like our sugar. So I was excited to make these for my parents, especially my dad who always has cookies or cake on hand, stored in the freezer, so he can have one when the sweet tooth strikes. They were a total success!
This week for Fall Fest we are all about Pumpkin! I bought literally a lifetime supply of pumpkin this year just in case there is a shortage. I didn’t want to risk not having a consistent supply of pumpkin bread for the rest of the year! And these Pumpkin Chocolate Chips bars are going to have to be kept on hand too! It’s basically a blondie brownie with some pumpkin and chocolate chips thrown in at the end. You can easily use white sugar but I opted for brown sugar just for a little more flavor and a deeper color. I mean it’s Fall after all, and well, it just made sense in my mind. You’ll love these…
adapted from Martha Stewart
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips plus 1/2 cup extra for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, baking soda and salt. Give the dry ingredients a quick whisk and then set this mixture aside.
- In a large stand mixer, combine the butter, white sugar and brown sugar. Turn the mixer on medium high and cream together the butter and sugars, making sure to scrape down the sides so everything is incorporated. Add the egg, vanilla and pumpkin and turn the mixer on to blend. Add the dry ingredients into the mixer and mix until the dry mixture is just combined. Add in 1 1/2 cups of the chocolate chips and mix to combine.
- Spray a 13x9 baking sheet with baking spray. Place the mixture into the baking sheet and level it out. Sprinkle on the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30-37 minutes and then remove from the oven. Let cool before cutting and serving.
Be sure to check out what my fellow Fall Fest contributors whipped up with pumpkin…
The Cultural Dish: Pumpkin Waffles
Cooking With Elise: Pumpkin Chip Scones
And Love It Too: Creamy Pumpkin Fruit Dip
CIA Dropout: Pumpkin Panna Cotta With Gingerbread
Haute Apple Pie Girls: Pumpkin Bread Parfait
I Am Mommy: Pumpkin Pancakes
Dishin and Dishes: Maple Pumpkin Creme Brulee
Virtually Homemade: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins With Pumpkin Seed Streusel
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Pumpkin Pizza
Daydreamer Desserts: Pumpkin Fattigman
From My Corner of Saratoga: Baking Pie In The Pumpkin
FN Dish: The Ultimate Pumpkin Soup
Cooking Channel: Pumpkin Risotto
The Sensitive Epicure: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies With Molasses Marshmallows
Daily*Dishin: Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake
ZaikaZabardast: Pumpkin Jalebi