Can we be honest for a minute? I make a boat load of food on a weekly basis. Most of it is pretty because I want to instagram it and show all of you gorgeous food. However, sometimes it’s weird looking, and not beautiful. But often times those are the best creations.
Like these Quinoa Burrito Bowls. I tried to make them as pretty as possible for you, but let’s be real, about 10 seconds after I snapped these pics, I took my spoon, tossed everything together (I mean, there absolutely has to be equal guacamole and salsa distribution in every bite), and chowed down. So then it was just a big bowl of messiness but it was freaking tasty. So good. Big deal kinda good. I may or may not have licked the bowl and then had seconds. Sorry, I’m not sorry.
Quinoa Burrito Bowls are a way of life in our house.
We probably have them for dinner at least twice a week. They are beyond easy to throw together and it’s a medley of my favorite flavors.
It all starts with some kind of base. We go back and forth between quinoa and farro, but quinoa won today. So let’s go with it. Quinoa Burrito Bowls – ready set go!
Quinoa on the bottom.
Black beans on top.
Shredded Chicken goes on top of that!
And then we get to pile on whatever we want. I’m partial to some shredded monterey jack cheese, guacamole, salsa, chives and some crema! And voila…. dinner is ready.
Annnnd. Lunch is ready for the next day too because these are bomb for leftovers. Just be sure to make a fresh batch of guac if you’re eating it the next day… no one likes a slightly brown guacamole. That’s weird.
I hope you all have an absolutely fantastic looooong weekend filled with lots of good eats, fun memories and some sunshine.
Remember how I said that my Easy Mexican Shredded Chicken was a staple in my house! Well here's another recipe using that simple go-to chicken recipe!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups quick refried black beans (recipe below)
- 2 cups shredded mexican chicken
- Shredded cheese
- 1 recipe chipotle guacamole
- 1 cup chipotle salsa
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 15 ounces canned black beans
- 1/3 cup water
- Layer 4 bowls each with 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the refried black beans on top of each portion of quinoa, followed by equal amounts of the shredded mexican chicken.
- Add toppings to the quinoa burrito bowls and serve immediately.
- In a large skillet add the olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the onions along with the red pepper flakes, paprika and cayenne pepper for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the drained beans and water and let the beans cook for about 5-10 minutes until they become soft.
- Using a mashing device, mash the beans until they are a little smooth and a little chunky.
- Taste and adjust salt if needed. Use as needed.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!