Shredded BBQ Chicken Burgers. My go-to foolproof weeknight meal! (p.s. there’s a giveaway below!)
Fall has officially started here in Los Angeles. I only know that because last week it rained 2 days in a row and it’s been pretty cloudy ever since. This means 3 things for me. First, it’s time to pull out all those fantastic scarves from my closet. Second, I’m on the hunt for the perfect pair of black boots. Third, my slow cooker is coming out and staying on the counter for the foreseeable future.
Things are looking pretty delicious from where I sit. First up this season in the crock pot are these Shredded BBQ Chicken Burgers. Technically the actual burger bun has nothing to do with the crock pot, but all that delectable slow cooker BBQ chicken came from 8 lovely hours over low heat.
I make this at least once a week! Mostly because it’s delicious, but also because Thomas always has something to take for lunch if this is in the fridge. It’s also easy to throw a spoonful of this on a brioche burger bun, slather on some guacamole and some shredded cheese and call it dinner. I speak from experience. You could have a beer alongside of it too, but I’d rather skip the beer and go for seconds on the shredded bbq chicken. Why drink my calories when I can eat them!
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 8-10 chicken thighs
- 6 hamburger buns
- 1 recipe Guacamole
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- In your crock pot, combine the onion, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, paprika, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken thighs and make sure they are all evenly spread out and coated with the sauce ingredients.
- Place the lid on the crock pot and turn on. Turn to high for Shredded BBQ Chicken to be done in 4-5 hours, and low for Shredded BBQ Chicken to be done in 7-8 hours.
- Once the timer is up, remove the lid and using 2 forks, shred the chicken while still in the crock pot. Turn the crock pot to warm and serve the Shredded BBQ Chicken on top of burger buns with a heaping spoonful of guacamole and shredded colby jack cheese.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!