Big day today, let me intro you to the Cheesiest Grilled Cheese Sandwich served with ALL THE KETCHUP.
Table of Contents
Why I love this recipe
For those of you who have seen my IG stories when I’m up in Seattle with my parents know that my dad makes a killer grilled cheese. It’s perfect toasted, cheese is melted, always cut on a diagonal and served with a big pool of ketchup on the side for dipping. It was my childhood favorite and even in my 30’s I’m still obsessed. But in order for it to be perfect - all of those qualities listed above need to be present.
The most important thing
You need plenty of cheese, don’t skimp. It's called the Cheesiest Grilled Cheese for a reason.
The more the merrier and we shred it so it melts quickly and you don't burn the bread. You need really nicely toasted bread… hence the mayo parm mixture. And you 10000% need ketchup. I have no shame and I am a ketchup FANATIC. Just let me live… I’m looking at you Thomas!! He thinks my ketchup to hot dog ratio is aggressive… I just don’t think he knows how to live!!!
So - go grab yourself a bottle of ketchup and then make this Cheesiest Grilled Cheese. Feel free to get jazzy with the varieties of cheese, you really can’t go wrong with anything that’s gooey and melted. Go on and live your best life.
Pairs well with
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Potato Leek Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper and Heirloom Tomato Soup with Crab
What you’ll need:
Cheesiest Grilled Cheese
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened, divided
- 8 slices sourdough or french bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 4 ounces Brie cheese rind removed and thinly sliced
- Ketchup for dipping
- Spread 3 tablespoons butter on 1 side of all the bread slices. Toast bread, butter side down, in a large skillet until golden brown, about 2 minutes and then remove.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, parmesan cheese and remaining 3 tablespoons butter.
- In another bowl, combine the shredded cheddar, shredded Monterey Jack and shredded Gruyere.
To assemble sandwiches:
- Top the toasted side of 4 bread slices with sliced Brie and sprinkle the cheese mixture evenly over the Brie. Top with remaining bread slices, toasted side facing inward. Spread mayonnaise mixture on the outsides of each sandwich. Place in same skillet, over medium low heat and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted, 5-6 minutes on each side. Serve immediately with ALL THE KETCHUP.
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Recipe by What’s Gaby Cooking
The ULTIMATE comfort dinner for me!!
Guuuurrrrllll!!! How is this grilled cheese not cut on a diagonal for the best angle for maximum ketchup dipping????? You better get Matt and Adam to take some new pics for this excellent sandwich.
I KNOWWWWW! It was a day they shot without me. A truly sad day to shoot grilled cheese lololololol
You should make pictures of ingredients. And how and what to put. I totally did not understand directions on how to put them together.
I love a good grilled cheese and I'm always looking for a way to make mine better (if that's possible).. Yours looks lovely but I don't like mayo. I appreciate the value of cooking with it. It can moisten a cake! Will I taste it? What will I miss if I leave it off?
you won't taste it at all!!
Yesssssss to dipping grilled cheese into ketchup!!
This sounds amazing and my husband and I have been on the hunt for the perfect grilled cheese recipe! We can’t wait to try this, but I wanted to ask ...how hot should the skillet be for each step?
Yessss someone who understands the science of mayo for browning on grilled cheese!!