Shredded BBQ Chicken Burgers. My go-to foolproof weeknight meal!
I know it’s not technically slow cooker season, but whatever. There are no rules anymore. These Shredded BBQ Chicken Burgers work for any time of the year in my book. And slow cooker recipes are one of the top requests here on WGC so I’m breaking it out today for this recipe!
These Shredded BBQ Chicken Burgers are looking pretty delicious from where I sit. I make this at least a few times a month! Mostly because it’s delicious, but also because Thomas always has something to have for lunch if this is in the fridge. It’s also easy to throw a spoonful of this on a brioche burger bun, slather on some guacamole and some shredded cheese and call it dinner. Or use the chicken portion of this recipe and slap it into a grilled cheese. Or stuff it into some enchiladas. You can’t go wrong. I speak from experience. You could have a beer alongside of it too, but I’d rather skip the beer and go for seconds on the shredded bbq chicken. Why drink my calories when I can eat them!
And if you can’t get your hands on all the ingredients to make the sauce from scratch, you can use 2-3 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce and you’ll still be a few hours away from an incredible meal.
Stuck in a dinner rut? Looking for new delicious dinner ideas? Check out my roundup of 50+ easy dinner ideas here.
Shredded BBQ Chicken Burgers
- 1 medium onion finely sliced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 8-10 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 6 hamburger buns
- 1 recipe Guacamole
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- In your slow cooker, combine the onion, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, paprika, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken thighs and make sure they are all evenly spread out and coated with the sauce ingredients.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and turn to high heat for the Shredded BBQ Chicken to be done in 4-5 hours, and low for Shredded BBQ Chicken to be done in 7-8 hours.
- Once the timer is up, remove the lid and using 2 forks, shred the chicken while still in the crock pot. Turn the crock pot to warm and serve the Shredded BBQ Chicken on top of burger buns with a heaping spoonful of guacamole and shredded colby jack cheese.