Hands down this Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili is the best vegetarian chili I've ever eaten!
I'm convinced that there is something wrong with my husband. He doesn't like chili? What? Who is he? How are we married? I'm so confused right now. Something is clearly wrong - but I'll survive because that means more chili for me!!
Chili is basically an ESSENTIAL recipe during the winter and this Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili is happening all day every day. It's been perfect for lunches and dinner, especially because there's a bit of quinoa inside too! It first appeared here last year (photo below) and I can't even count the amount of times it's happened since. It's everything you could possibly want in a bowl plus it's even better the next day for leftovers!
Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 2 extra teaspoons
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ cup dried quinoa
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- serving suggestions: avocado, cilantro, crema, grated cheese
- Heat a large heavy bottom pot with the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the sweet potato and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion is softened. Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, cumin and salt and stir to combine.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, black beans and quinoa and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir to incorporate.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes until the quinoa is fully cooked and the sweet potatoes are soft and the entire mixture is thick like a chili.
- Add the lime juice and remove the pot from the heat. Season with salt as needed.
- Garnish with avocado, cilantro, crema or cheese before serving.
Hands down the best chili! It immediately turned into a family favorite - even the meatlovers prefer this one over the meat version!
This is excellent!! Made for the 1st time today and will make again!
Made this for the first time last night, I am OBSESSED! Might be even better as I am currently eating it for lunch today! Thank you for the recipe!!
Do you have the nutritional breakdown on this?
I don't - sorry!! But I know some readers use various online sites to break down nutritional info when they cook.
I made this last night and it was AMAZING! Was my first quinoa dish ever, actually, and so easy. Made the house smell wonderful, too! I'm not a vegetarian but this is as hearty as any meat-filled chili. Thanks so much for what will be a staple in my kitchen now!! Wondering just how healthy this is...do you have any nutrition info to go along with it?
I don't have the app to do nutritional info - but it's good for you! loaded with super foods. so happy to hear that you loved it!! xx
I have all of this at home already! Meatless, ftw! Thanks for sharing!
Made this chili tonight for my husband & I and it was a HUGE hit! Especially delicious with the avocado! Thanks for sharing!!
This recipe was AMAZING!! So delicious I made it for my weekyl meal planning I couldn't wait to eat it !
I'm always on the lookout for delicious vegan meals. Boy o boy was this delicious. I'm SOOO GLAD I found this recipe on pinterest. This is going into my weekly rotation. I'll check out the rest of your site while I'm here. Thanks 🙂
Sweet potatoes are the way to go!! fabulous chili recipe 🙂
Sweet potatoes and avocados....what could be better....Gaby you are a genius. Will try this out this weekend. New place in Tucson, Campbell and Ft Lowell...has sweet potato hash with egg...fab. Just discovered Oxbow Market in Napa...10 min from work...wow...keep up the good work Gaby!
I'm obsessed with Oxbow! Next time I'm up there we have to go together for lunch!
Looks so delicious Gaby!!