When it comes to veggie loaded side dishes... Calabacitas are all time my favorite.
Loaded with onions, peppers, zucchini, corn and tomatoes and then covered in melted cheese, it's the definition of a comforting side dish that's still most healthy! Unless your name is Gaby and you pick all the cheese off the top and eat it all yourself. #sorrynotsorry
Clearly I'll never really grow up. Serve these Calabacitas alongside any southwestern main course or toss it on top of rice/quinoa/farro and call it a day. OR you can stuff a spoonful of Calabacitas into a taco and top it with a big fat dollop of guacamole. It's the right thing to do.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 yellow squash diced
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn
- 1 4- ounces can green chiles
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups freshly grated cheddar cheese
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and poblano pepper and sauté for 4-5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and stir to combine.
- Add the various bell peppers, zucchini and yellow squash and cook for another 5 minutes until the zucchini and squash are slightly soft. Stir in the corn and green chiles and continue to sauté for a few minutes more until the corn is warmed through. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the tomatoes, stir to combine.
- Top the mixture with the grated cheddar cheese and cover for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Serve immediately.
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Recipe by What’s Gaby Cooking
Fantastic summer meal!
Delicious! I added a little shredded chicken, squeeze of lime and queso fresco and stuffed it in a little tortilla. Outstanding and fun Friday night dinner. You're the BEST, Gaby!
This was delicious! We added chicken and some salsa, and even my squash-hating son ate it, so a huge thank you from me!
Thanks for sharing. My Sister gave me calabacitas tomatoes red onions. I willl put them to cook. Thank you
I have not made this yet but have already decided to omit the shredded cheese and just pour melted queso all over this baby and call it vegetarian nachos a la Gaby.
omg you have my full support
My grandmother used to make this. She used more squash, fewer peppers and topped hers with grated Monterey Jack cheese at the very end, off the heat with the lid on. Delicious.
I just made this for lunch today. I had never tried or seen this dish before. I wanted to use up some mozzarella cheese that I had on hand so I used that instead of cheddar. I have to say that it was Delicioso!! I look forward to try some more of your recipes!!