When it comes to veggie loaded side dishes, Calabacitas are all time my favorite.
Loaded with onions, peppers, zucchini, corn and tomatoes and then covered in melted cheese, it’s the definition of a comforting side dish that’s still most healthy! Unless your name is Gaby and you pick all the cheese off the top and eat it all yourself. #sorrynotsorry
Clearly I’ll never really grow up.
Serve this up alongside Southwestern any main course or toss it on top of rice/quinoa/farro and call it a day. AND and and… top it with guacamole. It’s the right thing to do.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Poblano Pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Zucchini, diced
- 1 Yellow Squash, diced
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn
- 1 4-ounces can green chiles
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups freshly grated cheddar cheese
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and poblano pepper and sauté for 4-5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and stir to combine.
- Add the various bell peppers, zucchini and yellow squash and cook for another 5 minutes until the zucchini and squash are slightly soft. Stir in the corn and green chiles and continue to sauté for a few minutes more until the corn is warmed through. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the tomatoes, stir to combine.
- Top the mixture with the grated cheddar cheese and cover for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Serve immediately.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!