I’ve never met a potato I didn’t like – and these Herb Smashed Potatoes shot to the top of my favorite recipe list!
I’m about 99% certain my husband would bring me flowers on a daily basis if I promised him potatoes for dinner every night. He’s obsessed – and truth be told… so am I! Potatoes can take on any number of flavors, you can mash them, smash them, bake them, fry them, roast them, turn them into breakfast… the possibilities are endless! These Herb Smashed Potatoes are boiled, smashed and fried then mixed with tons of garlic, fresh herbs and some salty parmesan on top! You can serve them up as a side dish along with dinner, you can even throw them out as an appetizer with a side of kopanisti (a whipped feta dip) for you to nibble on pre-dinner! You’ll love these! Hop to it!
Herb Smashed Potatoes
- 16 small potatoes Bella Blancas are my fav
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic sliced
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Generously cover potatoes with cold water in a medium pot and add 1 tablespoon salt. Boil until almost tender, 10 to 15 minutes and then drain.
- Transfer the boiled potatoes to a baking sheet and lightly crush to about 3/4 inch thick with a potato masher or any flat surface, keeping potatoes intact as much as possible. You can use the bottom of a skillet if you want!
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the herbs and garlic fry until fragrant, about 60-90 seconds. Transfer to a bowl.
- Working in batches and adding more olive oil to the skillet pan as needed, sear the smashed potatoes until well browned and crispy, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer the potatoes to the rack-lined baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven to keep warm.
- To serve, top with the fried herbs, garlic and grated Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Recipe from What’s Gaby Cooking
these are my favorite too!! look SO good- especially all that crispy garlic!
I’m with you– I never met a potato I didn’t like! Smashed potatoes is something I’ve been wanting to try. Thanks for this idea! It sounds super tasty.
Mmmm. These look simply divine!
I’ve never met a potato I didn’t like either, these look delish!
Love smashing potatoes!! It makes them so extra crispy on the edges!!
Beautiful and drool-worthy potatoes!! Want!!
love love love and I have never smashed a potato, so let the fun and eating begin xoxo
I’m obsessed. I saw these on insta and nearly died. That cripsy garlic is everything. Making this stat.
I make these too and the recipe is almost identical except I bake them instead of frying! Just smash the boiled potato on a cookie shhet and drizzle a small amount of olive oil on them and then bake at 400 until they are crispy! Delicious!!