Do you know the first thing I ever really mastered in the kitchen was a turkey burger? It’s true – and it was stuffed with cheese! My turkey burger skills have come a long way since then and these Guacamole Turkey Burgers with Pepper Jack Cheese are EVERYTHING!
If you check out the June issue of Better Homes and Gardens, you’ll see this gorgeous Guacamole Turkey Burger amongst the pages from yours truly and today I’m bringing you the recipe because, duh!! Juicy turkey burgers topped with freshly made pico de gallo, pepper jack cheese and a healthy dose of guacamole! What’s not to love! Seriously you need these in your regular grilling rotation this summer – they are absolutely not to be missed!
- 3 ripe Hass avocados
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeño
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 large white onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 to 2 jalapeño chilies, finely diced (seeds and membranes removed for a milder salsa)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice from 1 lime
- 1 1/3 pounds ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves,
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons, ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 Brioche Buns
- 4 sliced Pepper Jack Cheese
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin and place the avocado flesh into a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, lime juice, red onion, chives, jalapeño, salt and pepper. Mash with a fork until half smooth and creamy. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- In a large bowl combine the diced tomatoes, white onion, jalapeño, cilantro and lime juice. Gently toss to combine. Taste and season with salt as needed. Add extra jalapeño if you want a bit more zip.
- In a bowl combine turkey, garlic, shallot, cilantro, bell pepper, jalapeno, cumin, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Divide mixture into 4 equal sections then form the mixture into equal sized patties. Drizzle the patties with vegetable oil. Place a skillet over medium high heat and cook the turkey burgers for 5 to 6 minutes on each side until no pink remains in the center. In the last minute or two of cooking, add the sliced cheese over the patties and allow the cheese to melt.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!