With Memorial Day right around the corner, I figured we should make Strawberry Basil Lemonade? It’s a good idea, right?!
This Strawberry Basil Lemonade is coming to ya from the archives but I’ve given it a bit of a face lift. Strawberry Basil Lemonade was basically the first drink recipe I ever post on WGC and it’s been my most requested drink ever since. It’s a refreshing blend of homemade lemonade that gets fresh strawberries and basil pureed into the mixture. Depending on who’s enjoying this with me, I’ll add a glug or two of gin or just leave it “virgin” and enjoy it over some ice. Either way, it’s the best drink out there and you should probably be drinking this come Monday by the pool working on your tan.
At least that’s what I’ll be doing poolside, in Tucson, with my besties. That’s right, I’m heading down to my old stomping grounds this week for an Absolutely Avocados book party and to see basically everyone that still lives there. It’s going to be a whirlwind trip but I’m scheduling plenty of time for poolside relaxing with my girlfriends. I’ve decided that it’s necessary to schedule play time while you’re out on book tour. You need some form of downtown to relax and recuperate. Besides playtime, other scheduled activities include: naps, quite time and manicures (because you can’t be on TV shows or news segments with shotty nails).
And while this doesn’t directly figure into book tour, I’ve also managed to schedule just about every single meal while I’m in Tucson so I can hit up my favorite places to stuff my face while I’m there. It’s basically going to be a carb filled weekend and I can’t even wait. Juice cleanses will absolutely be necessary come post-Memorial day celebrations.
So in the meantime, grab some lemons, strawberries and a handful of fresh basil and let’s make some cocktails or mocktails!
- 10 lemons, juiced, about 1 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup super fine sugar
- 4 cups water
- 8-10 strawberries, tops removed
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup gin or vodka (optional)
- Juice the lemons and transfer the juice into a large pitcher.
- Add the sugar and the water and stir to combine and dissolve the sugar.
- Add the strawberries and basil.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture for about 20 seconds just until the mixture turns pink and the basil is finely chopped.
- Add alcohol if desired. Serve over crushed ice and enjoy!