One of Englands most iconic drinks, this classic Pimm’s Cup will be the latest addition to your summertime cocktail rotation!
Wimbledon was in the cards for us this summer but seeing as how that’s not happening, I’m bringing some of my fav English traditions home. The Pimm’s Cup is classic British summer cocktail that I first saw ages ago when we went to Wimbledon as kids. Seeing as how I couldn’t participate as I was like 10, I took a hard left turn and went straight for the strawberries and cream. These days, I’m clearly over the legal drinking age, and I was very much looking forward to watching tennis this summer with a Pimm’s in hand. Oh well, such is life! Next summer, right?!
If you’ve never had a Pimm’s Cup before, get ready for a refreshing cocktail that takes almost no time to make and is perfect for a hot summer day. It’s also easy to double or triple this recipe and make a big batch!
What is Pimm’s:
Pimm’s is a gin-based liqueur with a deep red color that is flavored with ‘herbal botanicals,’ spices, and caramelized orange. It’s in the realm of a digestive if you ask me which means, you’re not going to feel bloated after a few!
Also, if you’re uber lucky, and live in the UK or have a very stocked liquor store, you might be able to find a few other flavor varieties like Pimm’s Blackberry Elderflower, which is also amazing if you can get your hands on it.
How do you make a Pimm’s Cup:
Traditionally a Pimm’s cup is a mixture of Pimm’s, freshly squeezed lemon juice, Sprite, 7Up or ginger ale (ginger beer in my case), cucumber and an aggressive amount of fruit garnishes so you can feel very extra. Just stir everything together, add the garnishes and voila!
If you need me this weekend, I’ll be outside with a Pimm’s, some strawberries and freshly whipped cream and perhaps a glass of Champagne living my best wannabe Wimbledon life!! I mean, that’s how they roll at Wimbledon… and we’ve got to keep up appearances at home!
Need some other summertime cocktail inspiration:
- Aperol Spritz
- Spicy Strawberry Margaritas
- Skinny Margaritas
- Blackberry Pineapple Smash
- Strawberry Thyme Lillet Spritz
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 Persian cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup strawberries, thinly sliced or quartered
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 ounces Pimm’s No. 1
- 6 ounces Ginger Beer
- Fresh mint and thyme to garnish
- In a tall glass combine the sliced lemons, cucumber and strawberries.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with about 1 cup of ice. Add the lemon juice and Pimm's No. 1 over the ice and secure the lid of the shaker. Shake for 20 seconds until chilled.
- Add a few fresh ice cubes to the glass and then strain the mixture over the ice. Fill the remaining part of the glass with ginger beer. Garnish with the fresh mint and thyme and serve immediately.