If you’re on the bourbon and whiskey train then this Blueberry Mint Bourbon Lemonade is for you!
When it comes to Bourbon there is a variety of different types that give off some pretty different tasting notes. Some are more spice forward, others can be a bit sweeter, and then there are the floral and fruity types.
If you are looking to explore different types of bourbons here is a good starting point, not that there are a lot of other flavor profiles besides the ones listed below:
- Sweet Bourbons: Makers Mark or Bulleit
- Spicy Bourbons: Old Forester or Willet Rye
- Floral Bourbons: Four Roses Small Batch or Woodford Reserve
The good news is that this cocktail goes great with just about all of the different types of Bourbon.
Thomas and I personally like to go with Bulleit Bourbon when making this cocktail. Bulleit is light on the spiciness with notes of maple and oak. The toffee/caramel flavor on the finish is Thomas’s favorite part and pairs surprisingly well with the mint and blueberry used in this cocktail.
If you are looking for a more floral fruity type Bourbon to make with this cocktail, Thomas suggests going with the small batch from Four Roses. You really can not go wrong either way!
Bourbon and Lemonade are one of those perfect combos! Serve this for an uber refreshing summertime drink that goes perfectly with the muddled mint and sweetness from the lemonade. Great to kick back and relax after a long day. If that day was extra long fear not because its just as delicious if you opt for a double.
Blueberry Mint Bourbon Lemonade
- 10-15 fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, plus more for garnish
- 2 ounce simple syrup (or a squirt of honey)
- 2 lemon, juiced
- 4 ounces bourbon
- crushed ice
- In your cocktail shaker muddle the mint leaves, blueberries, simple syrup and lemon juice together. Pour in the bourbon and shake.
- Fill a glass with crushed ice and pour over the ice without straining. Garnish with a whole mint leaf and blueberries