We need one more pizza to round things out here at What’s Gaby Cooking this year and that is coming in the form of Deep Dish Butternut Squash Pizza loaded up with Shredded Brussels, Bacon and plenty of cheese!
In case you haven’t noticed, I’ve been having a bit of an obsession with deep dish / Detroit style pizza recently. The crust for this recipe is just hands down so freaking good. It’s light and fluffy and easy to put together but man does it pack a punch. It’s worth the extra few minutes of prep time to make this dough and let it rest – TRUST ME.
Okay so now that we’ve talked dough, let’s just take a hot second to talk about the toppings. First: Butternut Squash Sauce! I used the pre-made sauce that’s part of the WGC collection from Williams Sonoma!! It’s a seasonal flavor so if you’re thinking of making this, stock up now since it won’t be around again until next fall/winter. If you’re making this and the Butternut Squash Everything Sauce is not in stock, you could easily make your own using this recipe for a pasta sauce! It’s totally do-able as a pizza sauce, just don’t thin it out!!
From there – just pile on the ingredients!! You can omit the bacon if you’re going vegetarian and OMG prepare to just be obsessed!
More Deep Dish / Detroit Style / Fall Pizza recipes:
- Sausage and Fennel Detroit Style Pizza
- Leek Confit Pizza
- Loaded Vegetable Detroit Style Pizza
- White Pizza with Spinach and Lemon
- Carnitas and Guacamole Pizza
- Garlic Mushroom Spinach Pizza
Deep Dish Butternut Squash Pizza with Bacon and Brussels
For the Pizza
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 batch Detroit style pizza dough, recipe below
- 1 cup Gaby’s Butternut Squash Sauce
- 5 strips bacon, cooked and torn apart
- 1 cup shredded or shaved Brussels Sprouts
- 8 ounces brick style whole-milk mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil, mixed with 8 cloves of chopped garlic
- red pepper flakes and basil to garnish
For the Dough
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon rapid rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- olive oil as needed
For the Dough
- Put the flour, salt, yeast and sugar in a food processor with a metal blade attachment and pulse to combine. Add 1 cup warm water, then process until a ball forms, about 30 seconds (if a ball does not form, add a bit more flour). Process for another 30 seconds, then roll into a tight ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Proof in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 2 hours.
For the Pizza
- Position an oven rack in the bottom of the oven and preheat to 500 F.
- Pour the 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large cast iron pan (roughly 12 inch diameter). Put the dough in the pan and gently stretch it out to fit so the dough reaches the corners.
- Drizzle half of the garlic oil sauce on top and then the butternut squash sauce. Top the duo of sauces with almost all of the crispy bacon, shaved Brussels and half of the parmesan cheese. Then lay the cheese cubes all over, especially around the perimeter up to the edge of the pan. Drizzle the rest of the garlic oil sauce on top and scatter with the remaining toppings and parmesan cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and golden and a crispy cheese crust has formed, 10 to 15 minutes. Use spatula to loosen up the edges and remove the pizza from the metal pan and place on a cutting board. Slice into squares and serve with garnishes
We just LOVE all the pizzas!!
This pizza looks delicious! What brand is the cast iron pan shown in the picture?
It’s a Lodge Cast Iron pan / double handle
Do you have a way to make a similar sauce?
yes it’s linked in the post!
If I’m using frozen pizza dough, how many ounces? The ball I have is 20 oz.
Havent tested it with store bought dough – as that will most likely not be the same kind of dough as this and will yield different results