Let’s eat some ‘shrooms. Like how about some Mushroom, Potato & Chorizo Tacos? I’m into it.
Remember that time I went to Austin (last weekend) and didn’t eat a single taco!! Who am I!? This is 100% unacceptable behavior. Not to worry though, I’ll be back in Austin soon enough. My sister is most probably moving there by the end of summer and I plan on visiting way more than necessary. As an older sister, it’s my job to be annoying and overstay my welcome. And freeload on her couch while I eat my way through the city. And make her drive me from restaurant to restaurant because she lives there and will have a car. Kthanksbye
No but really, how does one person go to Austin and not eat any tacos? This is really bad. So I came home and (after a 3 hour nap) whipped up a batch of these Mushroom, Potato & Chorizo Tacos. I’m obsessed with ‘shrooms. Eat them as much as possible, and I’m loving them in these tacos.
The potatoes, chorizo and mushroom all work perfectly together to give you a filling taco that isn’t greasy but filling. I had high hopes of serving these with some guacamole, but I ate it all before I went in for the photo. Typical behavior.
So instead I topped these little tacos with some crumbled cotija cheese, a few sprigs of cilantro and some salsa on the side. If you’re going to show some self-control, clearly something I lack, I’d suggest serving these up with some smoky chipotle guacamole.
My hubby gave this one 2 thumbs up 🙂
It’s a quick and easy and PERFECT summer meal! And you it’s great because I’ve been slowly reducing the amount of meat we eat, and mushrooms are a great substitute! Assuming my hubby doesn’t read this blog post, he’ll never know my secret.
Mushroom, Potato and Chorizo Tacos
- 2 medium red-skin potatoes cut into 1/2-inch cubes about 1 1/2 cups
- 6 ounces Mexican chorizo sausage casing removed
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 10 ounces baby bella or cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- Cotija Cheese
- In a medium pot, add potatoes and cover with water about 1 inch above the potatoes. Place the pot on a burner on high and boil until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, combine the chorizo and onion. Sauté, stirring very frequently, until sausage is cooked through and onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for about 5-7 minutes more until the mushrooms have cooked down.
- Add the potatoes and stir to combine. Let the entire mixture cook for about 5 minutes more until the potatoes are just golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to low and set aside.
- Wrap tortillas in a warm, damp kitchen towel, put them on a microwave-safe plate dish, and warm them in the microwave for 4 minutes.
- Top each tortilla with the mushroom, potato chorizo mixture and any desired toppings and serve immediately.
These are perfect for taco night in our house! I could eat mushrooms on anything!!! Love love love them!
Thanks Nancy 🙂 You should totally make them for taco night! I promise you’ll love ’em
I love mushrooms and all spiced up, mmm, so good! I eat a ton of shrooms and it’s nice to mix it up!
Anything with chorizo has my name all over it – these look like KILLER tacos Gaby!
Mushrooms, potato AND chorizo?! And in a taco?! You know all the keys to my heart!
These tacos look so incredible and so flavorful. The intensity of the blended flavors is what is so impressive!
Oh my gosh I can’t believe you didn’t eat any tacos in Austin! You will definitely need to load up on that with some queso when you visit your sister.
yes. it’s bound to happen. I’m only packing stretchy clothes when I go to visit her 🙂
Looks delicious, and so flavorful. I think I’ll have three please!!
Yum! My favorite breakfast taco is chorizo, papas, y queso! I love anything mushroom so these lil’ “fun guys” will be a welcome addition!
omg. chorizo, papas, y queso. I want nothing more than a big plate of those tacos right this second
Such a wonderful idea for tacos! I want a lot of these 🙂
Whats wrong with me!? I didn’t have any tacos either!! i guess i will have to make these!
Looks great girl! Wish I had for lunch today 🙂
OMG that’s crazy I hardly go a day without tacos here! And queso, my downfall and source of those nagging 5 lbs.
QUESO!! omg. I would do anything for some queso right now
These are awesome Gaby! I love a full meal in a taco. Mark and I would totally love these for dinner. Great recipe, thanks!
Oh I wish I had these right now! And I DID eat tacos in Austin. Lots of tacos. You’d think that I would be taco’d out. After seeing these I can say that is definitely not the case.
how did I not have any tacos with you. Let’s go back and do it again
Wow! Well I’m glad you were inspired to make these – they look wonderful! What a great flavor combination!
I can’t tell you how incredible those photographs look! They really add so much ‘flavor’ to your articles! I’m currently in Asia and can’t find any chorizos – so I’m gonna have to substitute them with something … weird! I’m so glad I stumbled upon your blog. It’s a winner!
Thanks Dan 🙂 Let me know what you use to sub chorizo! I’d be interested to hear how it is 🙂
Those are some tasty looking tacos!
These were delicious – almost even better than I expected! Perfect leftovers too.