Today I’m giving Rocky Road Ice Cream a little spin and making it even better!!
Growing up in the Dalkin household meant that ice cream for dessert was always allowed. Typically it was a Mint Chip situation but these days I’m kinda all about the Rocky Road. But this isn’t any normal Rocky Road Ice Cream. I’m upping the ante with caramel (because, duh) and a variety of different chocolates, marshmallows and the most delicious Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds!!
These Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds are glorious on their own, but mixed into some Rocky Road Ice Cream is a game changer move. Whip this up, keep it stocked in the freezer at all times and you’ll thank me later!
Rocky Road Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream divided
- 3 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds chopped
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chopped
- ¼ cup white chocolate chopped
- soft caramels chopped into small pieces
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup of the cream with the cocoa powder. Warm over medium-high heat, whisking to dissolve the cocoa. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove the pan from the heat, mix in the chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of cream. Transfer this mixture to a medium-large mixing bowl. Set a fine mesh sieve over the top.
- In the same saucepan, combine the milk, sugar and salt and warm the mixture over medium-high heat. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. When the milk mixture is warm, gradually whisk into the egg yolks, beating constantly. Return the egg-milk mixture to the saucepan and continue heating over medium-high heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan with a spatula, until the mixture is slightly thickened and reads 170-175° F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the heat, pour through the mesh sieve into the chocolate-cream mixture and stir to blend. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Cover and chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. Once the mixture is well chilled, freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Stir in the marshmallows, Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds, dark chocolate chunks, white chocolate chunks and caramels until evenly incorporated. Store in an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.