Big things are happening tomorrow and they involve chips, guacamole, margaritas and most importantly these Mexican Shrimp Skewers with Corn Salsa!
After this past weekend I’m ready for summer. I’ve forgotten all about spring and I’m heading straight into grilling season. Someone pour me a margarita and I’ll man the grill. These Mexican Shrimp Skewers with Corn Salsa are the perfect thing to eat on a sunny and gorgeous day. The shrimp is marinated in a little citrus spicy situation and then grilled and served with a corn cotija salsa. Kinda almost like a elote salsa, but a bit lighter!
And… like so many of my recipes – they do double duty! They can act as a perfect appetizer – or you can serve them up alongside some flour tortillas and a giant bowl of guacamole and make your own taco guac wrap situation. Basically you can’t go wrong with these!! And make a double batch of the Corn Salsa because you’ll want it on everything forever and ever!
Shrimp Skewers with Corn Salsa
For the Shrimp
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds peeled deveined shrimp (12 to 15 per lb.), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
For the Corn Salsa
- 1 cup fresh corn cut from the cob
- ¼ cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- fresh lime juice to taste
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl combine the olive oil, cilantro, lemon zest, garlic, red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and add the shrimp and coat thoroughly.
- Thread the seasoned shrimp on metal or soaked wooden skewers
- Lay shrimp skewers on an oiled barbecue or grill pan over high heat. Cook, turning once, until shrimp are bright pink and opaque, about 5 to 6 minutes total. Remove and serve with the corn cotija topping.
- Combine the ingredients for the corn topping in a medium bowl and toss to combine. Serve alongside the shrimp + extra lime wedges.
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Recipe from What’s Gaby Cooking
How fun are these skewers!! Love these flavors!!
That corn salsa is calling my name!
these look awesome! I want instant summer too….
I want a few sticks of that shrimp!
Holy Moly! These look delicious!!! Bring on summer grilling! And I LOVE your new vegetable roaster for the grill. Can’t wait to get one myself.
Bring it on! So ready for summer and all the grilling there is to do!!
Insant summer? Come on down and visit us in Florida! We have had summer since…January.
Love this combination, but then again – I die for anything that includes corn and cilantro together!
Oh. My. Goodness. These skewers look insane! Let’s get on with grilling season!
I adore the simplicity of this yet the flavor is fantastic!
I love the sound of these! My question is – what else would you serve with them for dinner?
I love how the ingredients are simple and minimal, I don’t feel like I’m racking up a grocery bill to make something delicious and healthy. New Seasons here I come!
This was fabulous! I skipped the salsa because my husband is not a fan of corn, and I added 1/2 tsp easy of chili powder and cumin–so amazing and flavorful! This is definitely a keeper recipe.