I don’t know about you, but as a kid one of my favorite treats were the GIANT M&M cookies from the mall. They were just the best cookies ever. Maybe it was that they were a little crispy around the edges and still super soft in the middle? Or maybe it was that the M&M’s were perfectly spread out around the cookie so you had a bite of chocolate in every bite. Or maybe it was because we were only allowed to have them a few times a year. Regardless of what it was, I have and will always be a fan of those giant cookies.
I’m always slightly altering my sugar cookie recipe to find the perfect ratios and I think I have finally found a recipe that tastes just like those mall cookies. It’s kinda a big deal. And I devoured way too many of these cookies as I was taste testing. But it’s almost Valentine’s Day – and calories don’t count around Hallmark Holidays… right?
- 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temp)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Half bag of Milk Chocolate M&Ms
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Cream together the butter and sugars in a mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla, making sure to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl. Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and mix on low until everything is incorporated.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerate for 2 hours. Scoop out some dough, and roll it into a ball. It should be about the size of a golf ball.
- Roll the ball of dough around in some M&M's, making sure the M&M's stick into the dough, and place the cookie on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place 6 cookies on a sheet since they will spread due to their size.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes until just slightly golden around the edges. Remove from oven and let rest on the baking sheet. Note The might look a little under baked in the middle - but don't fear!! They will continue to bake a bit once removed from the oven.
If you want to use a little whole wheat flour you can use 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour
Tags: best M&M cookie, M&M, M&M cookie, valentines cookies