CHRISTMAS IS COMING (and so is Santa) and that means big things are happening today… namely a Peppermint Bark S’mookie!
Holy cow! Where has the year gone? I can’t even begin to comprehend the fact that it’s December and Secret Santa parties, birthday parties, holiday get-togethers are here! Wasn’t it just summer a few minutes ago? Not to mention, I STILL haven’t even started my Christmas shopping – yikes! But I have managed to make plenty of time to bake… at least I have my priorities straight!
Peppermint Bark S’mookies are some of my favorite treats to make this time of year! That and Christmas Crack! I just love them… and eating while they are hot and toasty is my favorite way to unwind after a long day! S’mookies are a modern take on a s’more and instead of using graham crackers you can use your favorite kind of cookie, I made some Smookie’s a few months ago and they were fabulous! For these Peppermint Bark Smookies, it’s all about 2 sugar cookies, peppermint bark (either homemade or store bought) and some marshmallows.
Once you have all your ingredients, all that’s left is to get crafty! You construct a s’mookie as you would a regular s’more, Cookie on the bottom, a piece of peppermint bark, a few marshmallows and another cookie to top it all off. Depending on how quickly you need to gobble one up you can do 1 of 2 things.
1: Wrap the entire thing in tin-foil, bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes on 300 degrees, take it out of the oven, unwrap it and gobble it up while its still warm!
2: Toast the marshmallow over an open flame before adding it to the s’mookie and let the residual heat from the marshmallow melt the chocolate.
Both are fantastic. And you need them in your life STAT!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- extra granulated sugar for rolling
- 16 oz chocolate chips (60% cocoa)
- 8 Candy Canes, crushed
- 1 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 package store bough large marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Once incorporated, add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Slowly add the flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt and mix until just combined.
- Using a 2 tablespoons cookie scoop, scoop out the dough and roll into balls. Roll each cookie dough ball in a layer of granulated sugar. Using a spoon, carefully press the cookies down to flatten and then place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate until it's smooth. Add in the peppermint extract and stir. Fold in 1/2 of the crushed candy canes. Pour the chocolate mixture onto the baking sheet into a thin layer. Sprinkle the rest of the crushed candy canes on top. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until cooled and solid. Break into smaller pieces.
- Take 2 cold sugar cookies. Place a few tablespoons of chopped up peppermint bark on the flat side of one of the cookies. Toast a marshmallow or two over an open flame. Add the toasty marshmallow on top of the peppermint bark. Add the remaining sugar cookie on top. Sandwich them together and press down, let the chocolate melt for a few seconds from the residual heat from the marshmallow. Enjoy immediately.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!