I’m a margarita kinda girl! It’s always my cocktail of choice and this Grapefruit Margarita infused with a little rosemary and a dash of cayenne salt on the rim is the perfect margarita for colder months!
I love a margarita and I have a few strong opinions on how they should be served. After spending a lot of time with various bartenders in some of the hottest restaurants in Mexico and my husband who fancies himself a tequila afficionado… here is what I’ve deduced.
I like them with blanco tequila. Lalo is our current favorite for a pure tequila without any additives and Casamigos is also excellent but a bit sweeter. We always opt for fresh squeezed juices – more flavor. This one obviously has grapefruit juice and lime juice. If you can’t get your hands on grapefruit right now, a really incredible orange would be fantastic. Totally different flavor profile but still fantastic. While not traditional – I like it a little fizzy so I always add a splash of plain sparkling water! I prefer them served over ice rather than blended. And I LOVE an infused salt rim. In this case, mix a tiny bit of cayenne pepper with kosher salt and you’re in business. And there you have it my friends: the perfect margarita in my book. Actual recipe for this Grapefruit Margarita is below!
Some of my other favorite fall / winter themed cocktails:
- 4 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice
- 2 ounces freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 2 ounces Cointreau
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- splash of sparkling water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt for rimming the glass, mixed with a dash of cayenne pepper
- rosemary or slice of grapefruit for garnish
- To make the salt rim: mix 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and a dash of cayenne pepper. Run a lime around the glass and then rim the glass with the infused salt.
- Combine the tequila, rosemary, Cointreau, grapefruit juice and lime juice in a cocktail shaker and add 3/4 cup of ice. Secure the top and shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds. Strain to remove most of the rosemary and serve over crushed ice with sparkling water to top it off.
How can you make this a virgin margarita?
omit both kinds of alcohol and load up on the sparking water!
My new fav drink made with Red grapefruit
This recipe sounds absolutely delicious. I’m in charge of providing drinks this weekend. I’ll have to try adding some fruit to everything.