Today’s the day!! The big 3-1 🙂 And I’m celebrating with this Caramel Drenched Flourless Chocolate Cake. DUH!
I figured since I’m turning 31 it’s okay to make a cake with 31 billion calories right? Seemed like the right thing to do! A few years back my family and I spent some time in Costa Rica and one of the restaurants served the most epic chocolate cake with caramel on top and I basically died. On the spot. Couldn’t breath. It was the most incredible thing I had ever tasted and I knew right then and there it had to be made for my birthday. So naturally… here it is! (clearly once I make up my mind there is no turning back!)
It’s a flourless chocolate cake DRENCHED in a homemade caramel with all the scoops of ice cream on top because why the hell not. It’s picture perfect when you add some sparklers on top and then all that’s left is to slice and serve and GO TO TOWN.
Get into it guys!! And happy birthday to me 🙂
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Lots and lots of Vanilla ice cream scoops
- Sparkler Candles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 10-inch-diameter springform pan. Line bottom with waxed paper. Stir butter and chocolate in heavy large saucepan over low heat until melted. Add sugar and cocoa and whisk to combine. Add eggs; whisking until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan on rack. Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Release pan sides.
- Stir sugar and water in small medium saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat; boil without stirring until syrup is deep amber color, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Add in cream (mixture will bubble vigorously). Return to low heat; stir until any bits of caramel dissolve. Add butter; whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the cake with warm caramel sauce and pile up with scoops of vanilla ice cream and throw some sparklers on there because WHY NOT!
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!