There's really nothing better than a chopped salad. Especially when someone is doing all the chopping for you. So if you're in a giving mood, and want to make this Mango Cucumber Chopped Salad for your friends and family, you'll truly be a hero!
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe
9 times out of 10, if there's a chopped salad on a menu while I'm dining out, like the McCarthy Chopped Salad, I'm ordering it. All those knife skills have to be admired and as someone who cooks for a living, I'm always appreciative of someone else doing all that work. But... seeing as how we don't dine out every single day, and sometimes you're just craving a chop chop at home, this one needs to be on your agenda.
This Mango Cucumber Chop Salad is loaded with chopped spinach, cabbage, mango, cucumbers, bell peppers and tons of herbs. It's topped with a peanut, lime and soy dressing that you'll want to keep on hand for many other uses. It's the brain child of my new friend Yvette who joined us while cruising the Galapagos last year. And she eloquently explained why chopped salads are better than all other salad and why chopping spinach is a necessity. I was hesitant but obviously I was curious. Fast forward... I've been making it non-stop since returning home and that was a YEAR ago.
Side note: I gave it to Poppy last night (as is, no modifications) and she devoured it. I was a little hesitant about the chopped raw veggies, but she was obsessed. I mixed in a ¼ cup of cooked rice and it's the perfect meal for a toddler. Between this and my cucumber salad, the girl is DEEP into her salad era!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Red Cabbage
- Persian Cucumbers
- Red Bell Pepper
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
- Smooth Peanut Butter almond butter, sunflower butter or tahini are great substitutes if you have a peanut allergy
- Garlic Cloves
*For a full list of ingredients and instructions please see recipe card below.
How to Make Mango Cucumber Chopped Salad
Step 1: Start by chopping all of the fruits, vegetables, and herbs. Place them in a large bowl and set aside.
Step 2: Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl.
Step 3: Drizzle the dressing on top of the chopped fruits and vegetables and toss to combine. Adjust salt and pepper if needed or add an extra squeeze of lime juice.
How to Store Mango Cucumber Chopped Salad
Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
If prepping this salad ahead of time, chop the salad ingredients and make the dressing, but wait to combine until right before serving.
Tips & Tricks
- Feel free to get creative here - if you want to swap some veggies for whatever is in your fridge.... please be my guest.
- The dressing is delightful on any number of salads, so if you want to make a double batch, you have my full support. It lasts for about 5-7 days in the fridge.
What is chopped salad made of?
CHOPPED veggies. The beauty of a chopped salad is in the knife skills. Doesn't really matter what kind of veggies you put in it - pretty much anything goes. Same goes for fruit - you're more than welcome to add some crunchy apples, some chopped peaches etc.
What is the difference between salad and chopped salad?
Again, it's just in the knife skills. Finely chopped veggies, fruits, proteins or dairy is what qualifies a chopped as a chopped!
If you tried this recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Mango Cucumber Chopped Salad
- 2-3 cups spinach chopped into about ⅓ inch pieces
- 1 cup red cabbage chopped into about ⅓ inch pieces
- 3 persian cucumbers chopped into about ⅓ inch pieces
- 1-2 mangos chopped into about ⅓ inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into about ⅓ inch pieces
- ⅓ cup cilantro roughly chopped
- ¼ cup mint chopped into about ⅓ inch pieces
- ¼ cup scallions chopped
Thai Peanut Dressing
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lime juiced
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter (almond butter, sunflower butter or tahini are great substitutes if you have a peanut allergy)
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- Combine all chopped fruits and vegetables in a bowl.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing. Drizzle on top of the chopped fruits and vegetables and toss to combine. Adjust salt and pepper if needed or add an extra squeeze of lime juice. Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- If prepping this Mango Cucumber Chopped Salad ahead of time, chop the salad ingredients and make the dressing, but wait to combine until right before serving.