Pizza week continues and this time we're back with a Bacon Goat Cheese and Leek Pizza for the record books!
My obsession with leeks continue and this Goat Cheese Leek Pizza is a medley of flavors that will rock your pizza loving world. Inspired by the one and only Mozza - it's INSANE and if you've never been - you gotta go!
We all know I've put leeks on many things before. It's made an appearance on pizza, it's been a constant on the Poppy vegetable rotation, and it's been in this life altering soup! Today it's married with bacon, goat cheese, mozzarella, lemon and a bit of red pepper flakes for a combo that is truly out of this world.
We talked a bit about tips and tricks for making the best pizza yesterday, so be sure to reference back on this post if you missed it. And if you want to see the way we form pizza dough to make it perfect every time - check out this video.
What you’ll need:
Bacon Goat Cheese and Leek Pizza
For the Pizza
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 small log goat cheese
- 1 large ball fresh mozzarella torn into pieces
- 4-6 slices bacon cooked
- 1 lemon
- red pepper flakes
- sliced scallions, red pepper flakes, and fresh basil leaves to garnish
For the Leek Confit
- 3-4 leeks trimmed, cleaned, and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep saucepan set over medium heat until the oil shimmers. Add the leeks, season with the salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the edges are beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes; be careful not to allow them to burn.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are completely softened and somewhat translucent, 28 to 30 minutes. Uncover and reduce the heat to the lowest setting on your stove. Add the garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until any liquid released by the leeks while cooking has been almost fully absorbed, another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a container and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees
- Divide the pizza dough into 2 even pieces. Stretch each piece of dough in a circular motion, then lay them both out on a flat surface and flatten out using a rolling pin. If you have a pizza peel, sprinkle some flour on it and place the stretched out dough on the peel.
- Once your 2 pizza doughs are flat and ready to be heated, use a spoon to spread about 1⁄4 cup of leek confit all around the dough leaving a little bit for the crust.
- Top each pizza with half of the goat cheese, bacon, fresh mozzarella and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Transfer the pizzas into the oven and bake for 12-13 minutes until the crust is perfect.
- Remove pizza from the oven. Adjust seasoning as needed, add scallions, squeeze lemon juice on top and serve.