Chips!! I think besides guacamole they are my biggest weakness. Well, cheese too. But chips, cheese and guacamole are things I can never say no to! Especially BBQ Sweet Potato Chips, dusted with a homemade spice mixture and fried to perfection!
They are sweet, spicy, crisp, and salty. What’s not to love! PLUS they actually go quite perfectly with guacamole and salsa… so that’s a win. To say these are addictive is an understatement. They are literally out of this world and so easy to make! I’ve been snacking on them left and right and bringing them out for all game day viewing parties the last few weeks. You can bet they’ll be out in full force next weekend for Super Bowl!
I’m a fan of the BBQ spice mixture recipe you’ll find below, but you could opt for a simple salt and pepper seasoning if that’s more your jam. Or spice things up even more with an extra 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper if you want to really bring the heat.
Check out the video for step-by-step directions on how to whip these up! And then make some at home – because I can promise that you’ll absolutely love them!
BBQ Sweet Potato Chips
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- Canola Oil for Frying
- 1-½ tablespoons Sweet Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Heat the canola oil in a large heavy bottom Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- While the oil is heating up, thinly slice the sweet potatoes using a mandolin.
- In a small dish, mix together the spices and season with salt
- Once the oil is hot, transfer a handful of the sliced California sweet potatoes into the oil and fry for a few minutes until crisp. Using a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon, flip the chips over halfway through the frying process to ensure even cooking.
- Once the chips are crisp, remove them from the hot oil using a slotted spoon and transfer them onto a paper towel lined baking sheet. While the chips are still wet with oil, dust them with the homemade BBQ seasoning mixture.
- Let the chips dry and any excess oil be absorbed by the paper towel.
- Once the chips are cooled, serve as needed.
- Alternatively, if you’re saving these for later, let them cool even more, and store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Mmmm, I love sweet potatoes! I’ve never thought of making chips with them though–I’ll have to try this! 🙂
I literally made the plain version and posted yesterday! These look delicious
Heh heh oil for trying. Looks good though thanks!
Love the flavors you paired with these Sweetpotato Chips! YUM! Totally the perfect side for a BBQ. I’m always a bit hesitant having potato chips, but if they’re homemade much less guilt. I’ve never made homemade chips before, great the video! Thanks Gaby! 🙂
Cannot get enough of this!! Potato chips are my biggest weakness. I loooove the seasoning you put on these!
Oh heavens. I need a basket of these stat! Perfect weekend food.
Sweet potatoes – I’m on it! Love this.
these looks so good Gaby!! And I love that I could make these for my kids- they re totally allergy free!
You are introducing me to so many deliciously wonderful things!! I am so excited to try this with these different spices. Yum!
Well Gaby, this is just brilliant! I cannot wait to make this for my crew:)
Pinned and making soon!!!! LOVE this Gaby!
These are totally gorgeous. Putting them on my summer to do list! 🙂
Wow! Beautiful chips! I have to try these.
I could eat chips, guacamole and cheese all day long. Sweet potatoes are my favorite. The color of these are amazing. Yum, yum!
Holy moly these look amazing!
They look great! But CANOLA oil???????? I don’t think so! I’ll try another MUCH healthier oil, thank you.
any oil with a high smoke point would work great
Love anything barbeque- it’s the flavor that’s hardest to find here in Guatemala!
I will definitely try these. I baked some last week and they were alright but I think these will taste a lot better and the texture will be great. Thank you for sharing.
They sound so yummy! I plan on trying them in my air fryer and cutting out the brow sugar. Thanks for the recipe!!
LMK how you like the air fryer!
I made this spice blend and threw it on cubed sweet potatoes and drizzled with olive oil and roasted them. DELICIOUS!