I’ve been on an oat milk kick for a while now. You’ll see it in my smoothies, in my matcha lattes, in my oatmeal etc… so how about a homemade oat milk recipe so you can make it at home anytime you need a refill!
Homemade Oat Milk couldn’t be easier! Similar to making a homemade nut milk at home, oat milk just takes a few pantry staple ingredients, a little bit of soaking time, and voila… done! It’s great to use in any number of recipes that call for any kind of milk. Baking, fair game. Coffee and Matcha drinks, you know it. Adding it into overnight oatmeal, why not. You get the idea. Anytime a recipe calls for milk, this is a great option and it is super clean without any weird add-ins.
The recipe below calls for Old Fashioned Oats (might be seen as Rolled Oats). I keep them stocked for this recipe, my dad’s kitchen sink cookies etc… and these are the ones I keep on hand.
A few of my favorite recipes that use homemade oat milk:
- Use it in place of coconut water in this Acai Bowl
- Poppy’s fav pink smoothie has this as the base
- Swap out the orange juice in this Green Machine Smoothie for oat milk
- It’s the perfect base for everyones fav Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Or use it in this Banana Chia Smoothie
Homemade Oat Milk
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned oats
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave (omit the honey if you're making for a baby under 1, or use the agave)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch fine sea salt
- Combine the oats, water, sweetener, vanilla, and salt in a high speed blender and blend for 30-60 seconds.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the milk into a bowl.
- Taste and adjust honey or agave or vanilla as needed. Place in a container that can be fitted with a lid and chill overnight.
I’m curious if this would be more budget-friendly than buying pre-made oatmilk?
10000% – thats why I started making my own
Hi! If using for a baby under 1, could I just leave out the honey or agave? Thanks!
I had no idea it was this easy to make Oat milk!! So excited.
How long does it last?
about a week!
I had no idea it was so easy to make oat milk. Mine came out great! Any suggestions for using the oats left over after straining? I hate to just throw them out.
How long will this keep?
about a week!
Thank you so much!; this recipe is very similar to how I make my almond milk.
Will this froth?? I’m all about a frothy oat milk latte
so oat milk doesnt froth great in my opinion unless its the barista blend that you buy from the store that has some additive to help frothing! So no, it wont froth like regular milk
Can you steam it?
I was just wondering how easy it would be to make my own last night because I wanted a lavender latte but had no oat milk. Thanks so much for this!
Can you double the recipe?