Dips are a necessity at any Super Bowl Party. I mean seriously, I need something to dip all of those chips, carrots, celery and other vehicles in! Today Maria and I are all about dips! I made a Spinach Dip served with fresh Pita Wedges and she made a fantastic Roasted Red Pepper and White Bean Dip
Whenever we go out for dinner its fairly safe to say that if Spinach Dip is on the menu, we are going to order it. This is by far one of my favorite appetizers and I always look forward to a good spinach dip. Come to think of it… I probably look forward to the spinach dip and any other appetizer more than the actual meal. Maybe I should just start ordering appetizers and stick to those? My first Spinach Dip was at CPK and I thought it was the most amazing thing in the world until I went to another restaurant a few weeks later and tried the one there… needless to say, Spinach Dip is delicious. I now make my own at home because of 2 reasons: 1. its a whole lot better for you and 2. its way less expensive to make it at home.
After playing with numerous spinach dip recipes I have come to this one that I absolutely love. Its hot and comforting, perfect for the Super Bowl, and its not totally packed full of fat. Also, I serve it with freshly made pita bread rather than chips because its a whole lot healthier!
- 2 tsp olive oil,
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 pounds spinach, cleaned, trimmed, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat bar cream cheese
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Pita wedges for serving
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; cook until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until completely wilted, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a colander; drain, pressing to release all excess liquid.
- In the same pot, warm milk over high heat. Whisk in cream cheese until melted, about 3 minutes. Add spinach, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and 3/4 cup mozzarella; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer over medium low heat until ready to serve. Transfer to serving dish and add pita wedges for dipping.