Best. Strawberry. Shortcakes. Ever.
There, I said it. And I’m not kidding. These shortcakes are going to change your life.
Last week I ran over to the Santa Monica Farmers Market to grab a few things for my clients and couldn’t help but pick up a crate of the most delectable strawberries known to man. The smell of these strawberries was literally wafting from one side of the farmers market to the next, and let me tell you, it’s no small farmers market. After eating half of the crate on the way home, I decided I’d use the rest of the berries to make a fun dessert for my girls night in fiesta! So I chopped up the rest of the strawberries, let them get up close and personal with some sugar and patiently waited 24 hours to make this mind blowing dessert.
You see, my fiance headed to Vegas last weekend with all of his friends, and left me home alone. First of all, rude for not bringing me. I understand it’s a boys trip and all, but I would have gladly stayed with my girlfriends at another hotel and had a blast. Second of all, when the boys are away, clearly a girls night filled with lots of fun cocktails, food and girl talk is in order. Duh. And these strawberry shortcakes were the icing on the cake to a great night in.
Okay, so let me fill you in on this “cream” secret. Well, it’s not so much a secret, but it’s the only way I’ll make whipped cream. Here’s the deal. Heavy whipping cream, lots of powdered sugar, 1 whole vanilla bean and a mixer. It’s basically not even fair to other whipped creams because it’s just so much better.
So you should totally make these. They would be perfect for any night of the week, but they will seriously fit in perfectly for a dinner party. Plus all of your friends would think you are a genius.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 lb strawberries, tops removed and sliced
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- Combine the flour, lemon zest, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor. Pulse for 30 seconds until everything is evenly combined.
- Add the butter and pulse for 1-2 minutes until the butter is cut into small pea sized chunks.
- Combine the cream and vanilla in small bowl.
- Add the cream mixture to the food processor and combine for 30 seconds until you have a dough.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and divide it into 9 equal portions, about 3 ounces each. For each portion of dough into a biscuit about 3/4 inch thick.
- Transfer the biscuits to a baking sheet lined with parchment and chill for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake until the biscuits are medium golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Combine the slices strawberries and sugar in a large bowl and set aside for at least 3 hours until the strawberries are juicy and delicious.
- In a large stand mixer, combine the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla bean and whip until medium stiff peaks form and then set aside the cream.
Biscuit recipe adapted from the fabulous Matt of Matt Bites!
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!