Given the fact that I am a self proclaimed taco-holic, how is it possible that we don’t have a Spicy Shrimp Tacos recipe on whats gaby cooking?
We have fish tacos, steak tacos, carnitas tacos, spicy shrimp tostadas, chicken tinga tacos, chipotle salmon tacos but NO shrimp tacos!! What’s happening here. That’s changing today because it’s summer and tacos are a way of life. Who am I kidding, tacos are a way of life all year round – but I feel like they make especially good sense in the summer months when enjoyed with a margarita while sitting by the pool!
These are beyond easy to whip up. It’s a simple shrimp recipe wrapped in a charred tortilla, some shredded cabbage on top, pico on the side, and some tomatillo salsa to boot. Nothing is overpowering but everything compliments each other. Squeeze a little lime juice on top for an extra zip and you’re well on your way to the perfect shrimp taco.
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 lime
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Eight small flour or corn tortillas, charred over an open flame
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 recipe Pico de Gallo
- 1 recipe Tomatillo Avocado Salsa
- Place the shrimp in a small baking dish.
- Zest and juice the lime into a small bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil, paprika, garlic powder and cumin to the lime juice and zest and stir together. Pour the spice marinade over the shrimp and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle the shrimp with salt and pepper and place in the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until pink and fully cooked. Remove from the skillet and place it on a clean plate.
- To assemble, toast the tortillas over an open flame. Place a few pieces of shrimp into the center of each tortilla along with some shredded cabbage. Add a few tablespoons of pico de gallo and drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the tomatillo avocado salsa and garnish with cilantro. Serve.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!