I’m pretty excited about this weeks Summer Fest celebration! We are talking all things cucumbers – and I can’t wait to hear what everyone made. While brainstorming my favorite recipe involving cucumber, I realized that you can really use it in so many things! You can toss it into a salad, throw it into a thai flavored pasta dish, make it into a creamy cucumber soup, be super adventurous and make your own pickles, or you can make a kick ass cocktail, like me!
This Cucumber Basil Gimlet starts with making cucumber juice, which is pretty simple, all you have to do is peel an English cucumber, chop it into chunks and throw it into your food processor or blender and blend it until you can’t blend anymore! Then you’re going to put it through a fine mesh strainer and voila – cucumber juice!
But we can’t just add cucumber juice to a cocktail… it has to be jazzed up! So along with the cucumber juice, you’ll need some freshly squeezed lime juice, a basil simple syrup and gin. The result is going to be a perfectly refreshing summer cocktail that you transport you to somewhere fabulous with a beach, and lots of sunshine and perhaps some guacamole.
- 1-2 oz basil simple syrup (water, sugar, basil)
- 1 oz cucumber juice (English cucumber)
- 3 oz gin
- 1 oz lime juice
- In a pot, combine 1 cup sugar with 1 cup water and 10 basil leave. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let the basil infuse for 20 minutes and until the mixture has cooled. Strain out the basil and set the simple syrup aside.
- Peel a large English cucumber and cut it into chunks. Place it into your food processor and blender and pulse for 2 minutes. Remove mixture and place it into a fine mesh strainer and push out the juice into another bowl. Discard whatever cannot be pushed into the juice. Set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine 1 oz of basil simple syrup. 1 oz cucumber juice, 3 oz gin, 1 oz of lime juice and ice cubes. Shake shake shake and taste. If it's too strong, add 1 more oz of basil simple syrup. Shake again and serve over ice.
And check out what my fellow Summer Fest contributors whipped up this week
Pinch My Salt: Chilled Cucumber, Kefir and Avocado Soup
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Radish-Cucumber Crostini
Big Girl Small Kitchen: Spicy Cucumber Salad with Shallot, Ginger and Mint
Grecian Kitchen: Summer Cucumber Salad
And Love It Too: Cucumber, Mint and Watermelon Salad
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Cucumbers Coolers with Agave Simple Syrup
Cooking With My Kid: Cucumber Limeade
FN Dish: Summer Fest: Cucumber Recipes
CIA Dropout: Relishing Cucumbers
Healthy Eats: Cool Cucumber Soup
Food for 7 Stages of Life: Cucumber Cherry Salsa
Cooking With Elise: Green Tea Cucumber Pops
Glory Foods: Cucumber and Shrimp Boat
Virtually Vegan Mama: Fire-Roasted Tomato and Cucumber Gazpacho
Cooking Channel: Cucumbers Stuffed with Crab-Mango Salad
Recipe Girl: Bread and Butter Pickles
Taste With the Eyes: Spicy Pickled Cucumbers with Wakame and Garlic Blossoms
Virtually Homemade: Cold Thai Cucumber-Mint Soup
Add a Pinch: Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
The Cultural Dish: Ahi Tuna with Cucumber Sauce and Salad
Daily*Dishin: Cool n’ Zesty Cukes: 7 Minute Summer in a Jar
Daydreamer Desserts: Cubanita Margarita
Purple Cook: Cucumber Gazpacho with Indian Flavored Shrimp Relish
Indian Simmer: Cucumber at its Best with Chaat Masala
Big Apple Nosh: Quick and Easy Homemade Pickles
Sweet Life Bake: Agua de Pepino
The Sensitive Epicure: Tzatziki with Grilled Gluten-Free Pitas and Fresh Cucumbers and Peppers
Zaika Zabardast: Cucumber Gazpacho
A Way to Garden: Cucumber-Growing Q&A and the Best Pickles
Cooking with Books: Summer Fest: Cucumbers