Let’s get right into it. Making a meal out of canned beans is incredibly useful, especially when we’re doing a lot of cooking out of the pantry. So in honor of the occasion, below you’ll find 24 recipes to make with a can of beans!! We’re got all sorts of flavors going on but a few things you should know up front!
Canned Beans 101
- Rinse the beans! You always want to remove the beans from the can, drain the liquid, and then rinse them until the water runs clear and there are no suds! That liquid is extra starchy and can be full of sodium so make sure it ditch it!
- Get creative! Each recipe below calls for a certain kind of bean, but in reality, any bean works! Black beans, kidney beans, white beans, you name it!
- Give them time: When adding canned beans to soups and stews, simmer them for at least 15 minutes to let them absorb all the flavors.
- Substitutions: If you’re using a recipe that calls for dried beans, you can substitute two (15-ounce) cans of beans for every cup of dried beans that’s called for in your recipe.
- Storage: if might be tempting to store leftover beans back in the can, BUT DON’T! Store them in a covered glass or plastic container in the fridge for up to one week.